Of other notable architects from St Austell include John Goode, who contributed considerably during the 1970s to residential developments in the area.
St Austell railway station was opened by the Cornwall Railway on on the hillside above the town centre.
Two branch lines west of the town were later opened to serve the china clay industry; the Newquay and Cornwall Junction Railway which is still partly open, and the short-lived Trenance Valley line.
The independent narrow gauge Pentewan Railway ran from West Hill to the coast at Pentewan.
Before 2010 it was in the Truro and St Austell seat.
The main local authority is Cornwall Council, the unitary authority created as part of the 2009 structural changes to local government in England .
It launched in January 2008 to cover the area from Trewoon in the west to Tywardreath in the east.
As in much of Cornwall and neighbouring counties, tourism is increasingly important to St Austell's economy.
In August 2007, developers David Mc Lean and demolition team Gilpin moved onto the town centre site to complete the preparation, with the Filmcentre which was originally an Odeon cinema dating back to 1936, being demolished in late September/early October.
In October 2007, the South West of England Regional Development Agency (SWRDA) announced the new development would be named White River Place.
The event is run by a small group of non affiliated volunteers.
St Austell is in the parliamentary constituency of St Austell and Newquay which was created in 2010 by the Boundary Commission for England (increasing the number of seats in Cornwall from five to six).
This, along with other factors, led to St Austell becoming one of the ten most important commercial centres of Cornwall.