when they agreed to respect the Creole (and maybe the Indigenous American, more sources are needed to better distinguish this point) population.In the year 1792, by royal warrant on 20 May, the Spanish informed the Captain General of Guatemala, Don Bernardo Troncoso, to recognize the archipelago.In 1848, Tomás Cipriano de Mosquera declared San Andrés as a Free port.In 1851, slavery was abolished by the constitution of Colombia, which led to a successful literacy movement led by pastor Philip Beekman Livingston. President Theodore Roosevelt came to San Andrés by boat and requested that the islands become part of Panama, but American proposals were rejected outright as unpatriotic, proving local loyalty to the Republic of Colombia.Also of note are La Loma, the town of San Andrés, the Baptist Church, Seaquarium, the large pond of La Laguna, and a freshwater lake amidst mangrove forests.There are coconut palm plantations, lush pastures, and tall native trees reaching 20 meters (66 ft).Enslaved people of West African birth or descent were brought in by British shipowners in 1633 from Jamaica.They were initially brought to work in lumbering, as well as to grow cotton and tobacco.
The history of both San Andrés and Providence is replete with adventures of pirates, their invasions and occupation of the islands.
The government of Tomás Oneille granted land titles to Anglo and Latino families of the two islands assuring people the ownership of the land.
In July 1818, Luis Aury, and the independent forces of Simón Bolívar occupied the islands, and it became part of Gran Colombia on June 23, 1822.
In 1635, the Spaniards, realizing the economic importance of the island, attacked the archipelago.
However the Spaniards were driven out soon after they occupied the islands.
In the midst of an Antillean environment, this resort has an exceptional architecture with circular towers overlooking the sea at ‘Punta Hansa’ – at the northern end of the Island of San Andres – which allow for wonderful panoramic views of the Caribbean Sea.